Friday, April 29, 2005
Thursday, April 28, 2005
Ready, Set, Go
I was very surprised when I came home yesterday and found this waiting for me! I wasn't expecting the yarn to get here until the weekend. Apparently, it was shipped priority mail, which explains the speedy delivery. I promptly swatched and got gauge on the first try with size three needles. The fabric created by the Linen Drape was very pretty, though not super soft. During casting on, I had a few problems with the yarn splitting, but it should be fine once I get going.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005
After browsing through all my Rowan and Rebecca magazines, I found this project, called Moonbeam. I had a difficult time choosing between this and the other version with three-quarter length sleeves. It's from Rowan 29 and is made with Linen Drape, which is a discontinued yarn. Luckily, several websites have it on sale and I managed to get six skeins of it in Reed (sagey green) for only $4.50 a skein! I don't know when it will arrive, but I hope I get it soon so I can start swatching.
Monday, April 25, 2005
No Epaulettes Yet
I finished the vest on Saturday. Due to laziness, I haven't added the epaulettes yet. I don't know if I will add them later or not. It seems that having them on could add a little bit of bulk that would bother me. I only used two skeins of yarn for this project. I also shortened it by about two and a half inches. I like the fact that it's cotton and I could wear it as a tank too.
Friday, April 22, 2005
Thursday, April 21, 2005
Almost Ready to Seam
I forgot to take a picture before I sprayed down the front of the vest for blocking. I finished it late last night. I had to frog and redo one of the shoulders because I had done one of the V-neck decreases wrong. I was going to try to ignore the error, but it was easy enough to fix, so I thought I might as well get it right. There is a bit of ribbing on the front too. I just couldn't see it in the photo. I'll post a picture tomorrow.
Tuesday, April 19, 2005
I finished the back of the vest last night. It's a little rough working with the cotton after working with so much wool, but I'm getting used to it. From the armholes up, the pattern called for a 3x1 ribbing that I really like. The front doesn't have the ribbing, but maybe I could add it. However, with a V-neck, it could look funky.
Saturday, April 16, 2005
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
Next in Line
After finishing my sewing project last week, I got some chenille and started experimenting with some crocheted circles to make a belt or a scarf. I didn't really like how either was turning out, so I thought I better find a new project. I decided to continue on with another knit.1 pattern, the vest with epaulettes. I'll swatch this afternoon.
Friday, April 08, 2005
I finished "The Tube" tank last night. I would recommend this pattern to anyone who wants a cute and easy sewing project. I made this pattern in a size small (8-10) and it fits fine, though I think I could have added some side seam splits to allow for greater ease in pulling the tank on or off. I may have to make one of the more strappy versions.
Wednesday, April 06, 2005
This project is probably one of the quickest I have ever done. I am by no means finished, but here is what I did complete in about 20 minutes last night. All I have left to do is sew on the arm and neck facings and finish the hem. The facings may take a bit of time since I have to do some of it by hand. I think the gathers add some fun.
Monday, April 04, 2005
I decided to work on this quick sewing project before I decided on my next knitting project. It's a cute gathered tank top, McCall's pattern 2222. I'm making the view in the top right corner (the green one). I decided to use the Alexander Henry fabric that I originally bought to make a strappy dress. I thought the colors would add a versatile piece to my spring/summer wardrobe that I could wear with just about anything.
Sunday, April 03, 2005
I finally finished this project yesterday. Aside from the troubles I had with gauge and lots of ends to weave in, this was an easy knit. As I mentioned before, I was a little worried about how this tank would turn out because of being knit on the bias. However, once all the bands were sewn on, it turned out fine. The waistband was originally supposed extend into a tie, but I didn't want that feature, so I just made it shorter to fit the circumference of the tank itself.