general adventures in craftiness

Friday, July 28, 2006

Do Over

I ripped the halter out yesterday and started it over again last night. Let's hope it turns out better the second time around.

Thursday, July 27, 2006


Well, here's the finished halter top. There's no shot of me wearing the halter because it's way too big! There was only one size for this project and it was for 30-34 inch chests. I'm disappointed because I really liked this pattern. I like it so much that I think I will redo the halter and alter the pattern or knit it in two pieces. I've had this problem before where projects I've knit in the round end up being too big and the waist shaping turns out weird (it really seems to flare at the bottom). Looks like I've got some frogging ahead of me!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Approaching the Finish

I finished the right front part of the halter last night and am almost done with the left. After I add the crochet trim, I'll throw it in the washer and dryer for some blocking. I'm thinking I'll focus on a few sewing projects once this tank is complete. Machiko Kayaki here I come!

PS Looks like the future Portland IKEA broke ground today. Woohoo!

Monday, July 24, 2006

Split Up

So, I'm at the split in the halter top. I actually managed to get a lot of knitting done this weekend, as I spent most of it in the basement watching movies, trying to stay cool in the 100° temperatures. I also headed out to the movies and saw The Devil Wears Prada and My Super Ex-Girlfriend. The heatwave should be ending this week!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

New Tank Project

I went to Lint on Sunday afternoon to buy yarn for this next project. It's a halter-style tank top adorned with fake gems, which I will omit from my version. The directions call for using GGH Mystik, but the store didn't have that in stock, so I opted for GGH Scarlett instead, in a similar dark brown color. The top is knit in the round and one round consists of 196 stitches! Needless to say, one round takes a little bit of time.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Wool & Hoop

After I finished the Cherry sweater, I moved on to this fun and quick embroidery project, which was a gift from Mariko. This is the Love Loops design and it's one of the Wool & Hoop crewel kits. The kit comes with all the materials you need, including the hoop, as well as a blank card where you can mount the embroidery. I think I may end up framing it, though it is pretty small, 3" x 3".

Friday, July 14, 2006

A Finished Cherry

I stayed up late last night, finishing this project while watching old reruns of Felicity that I had stored on the TiVo. I ended up buying some simple iridescent shell buttons. The directions call for sewing snaps in between the buttons, but I haven't done that yet. I don't know if it will be necessary. The only issue I encountered concerned the eyelet waist. As I was weaving my twisted cord through the holes, the ends didn't match up in front. One was coming out and the other was going in. So, I just skipped the center hole in the back. This was a nice straightforward knit that I would recommend for anyone wanting a cute summer cardi.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Seams Almost Done

I knit on the right button band last night and seamed in the sleeves as I watched the first episode of the new season of Project Runway. So far, the sweater looks like it will be a good fit. I'll seam the sides today and knit on the neckband too. I still need to get the buttons though.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Cherry Bits

I finiahed the sleeves late last night and they are currently still blocking. I finished the left button band this evening and will start work on the remaining one with the buttonholes tomorrow.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Up Front

I finished the two front pieces of the sweater this weekend while watching the World Cup final this morning (hurray for Italy). They are currently blocking. I started both of the sleeves this afternoon and am just past the ribbing. I haven't picked out any buttons yet, so I'll have to make a trip to Fabric Depot this week–an excuse to also check out some fabrics!

Monday, July 03, 2006

Back is Done

I finished the back several days ago and blocked it. It's patiently waiting for its two front pieces, which I am working on simultaneously. I was almost to the eyelet row on the waist when I realized I had done the decreases wrong and had to rip both pieces back down to the ribbing. I kept working until I was caught up and ready to start the eyelet row again!