I'm on vacation this week. Not much posting going on.
general adventures in craftiness
Okay, so at some point halfway through this hat, I had a revelation. The cables running down the center in the front and back were the braids, hence the pattern name, Hat with Braids. Duh. I must have read the second part of the pattern about a dozen times because it made no sense to me, in terms of it saying how many decreases should be done, so I sort of did what I thought would work and it looks fine to me. I really like the quasi ear flaps and how the hat is bound off on top. From the side it looks like a kitty hat.
With the holidays and stuff I wanted my next project to be something quick and fun. I think this hat will fulfill those criteria. It's from the latest issue of Rebecca. The pattern is called Hat with Braids, btu I don't see any braids anywhere. It's got some very subtle earflaps though. I have some yarn in my stash that I plan to use. It's actually leftover from another Rebecca project, the sweater with the boatneck and cables. I was also browsing through Rowan 36 and saw some sweater possibilities that I may be interested in.
Look what came in the mail yesterday! These gorgeous socks were made by Rachael. I love the simplicity of the pattern. They go well with my couch, don't you think? They were made with Karabella Aurora yarn. Thanks again Rachael!
I hope this makes sense! Email me if you have questions.
Labels: cable scarf pattern
Here's my finished cardi. I really like how it turned out. The fit is perfect. After knitting the collar, I did steam block it with my iron to get it to lie flat. The zipper was also very easy to put in using my sewing machine. I did have to tack the ends of the zipper at the top because they were sticking out a little bit past the bands of the sweater, but now it looks great.
It appears as if my goals were a bit too lofty last night. I sewed the sleeves on the cardi and basted the front opening closed, but didn't actually sew in the zipper. After rereading the directions, the last thing to be done is the zipper. So, I started the collar instead. Thanks to those who gave me information for the online zipper sources. But, of course, I couldn't wait a few days for a zipper to come in the mail. I needed it NOW!
I finished seaming up the sides and the sleeves of the cardi last night. So far, everything looks like it will fit together nicely! I thought maybe I could use one of the zippers I had bought, even though the color didn't really match, but it's too long. So, I bought a tan one instead. There was horrible color selection and the tan was the most coordinated color I could find. I was surprised that there weren't even any brown zippers! My goal is to sew in the sleeves and zipper tonight and knit on the collar tomorrow.
I'm no Trekkie, but these knitting charts for Star Trek Characters are pretty cool. Plus William Shatner is on the comeback trail.