general adventures in craftiness

Monday, June 09, 2008

Flutter Sleeve Cardigan

Here's the flutter sleeve cardigan. I finished it last night. I think it turned out all right. I didn't block it and instead threw it in the washer and dryer. I don't know that I'll add the sleeve bands. I was just too lazy since the sweater was already finished. I also didn't make buttonholes in the seed stitch edging. I crocheted some button loops instead. It turned out a lot longer than I thought it would be, but it will make a nice layering piece.

Labels: ,

Thursday, June 05, 2008


Here's what I've been trying to finish the last week or so. These are the seed stitch bands on the front edges of the cardigan. You'd think they would knit up quickly, but I feel like I've been working on them foreverrrr. They go all the way up to the top edge. I guess I haven't been working on them everyday though. Or have I? I can't remember. Perhaps I've only been working on them everyday, but for shorter periods of time than usual. Some other projects have been taking up my time too. My goal is to finish them this weekend and have a new sweater to wear!

Labels: ,

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Curled Up

I got the two fronts of the cardigan finished during the long holiday weekend. I started in on the button band edging last night, but didn't get very far. I'll be able to start in on the seaming of the sweater once the bands are completed. As you can see, the sweater is really curling up at the edges. Since the yarn is a wool/acrylic blend, I wasn't even planning on blocking it, but I may just throw it in the washer and then pin it to the blocking board. Maybe the waist ribbing will relax a bit then too.

Labels: ,

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Flutter Back

I finally finished some knitting! I got this back section done while watching the finale of Dancing with the Stars. I stayed up late too because I had screwed up on the neckline. I was supposed to mark off the center stitches to work up in seed stitch and then when I was casting off for the tops of the sleeves, one side had more stitches than the other. I had no idea how that happened. Of course, I had already completed knittin gthe seed stitch part, so I had to undo several columns of stitches and rework the seed stitch using a crochet hook. I had to shift the seed stitch neckline over about an inch. That took quite a while, but I managed to get to bed at midnight.

PS The sweater looks like it's made for Barbie with its super cinched in waist. I hope I can get that ribbing to relax a little bit!

Labels: ,

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Not Much Knitting

I started in on the sleeves after casting on several more stitches at each end. I haven't had much time for knitting the last couple of days, but will try to carve out more time after work tomorrow.

Labels: ,

Friday, May 09, 2008

Much Better

This is the back of the Flutter Sleeve sweater. I just finished the ribbed waistband and the remaining top section of stockinette should knit up quickly. I'm liking the way this project is turning out much better than the fisherman's rib jacket. The weather here is a little gray still, so this could turn out to be the perfect layering piece.

Labels: ,

Monday, May 05, 2008

R.I.P. = Rip In Peace

I spent a lot of Sunday afternoon working on this zipped jacket from the latest issue of Rebecca. I watched three movies while I was knitting: 27 Dresses, Feast of Love (filmed in PDX!), and There Will Be Blood. I finished the sleeves and was in the process of joining them to the body. I looked at what I had done so far, and decided that I didn't really like the way it was turning out. The fisherman's rib was looking really bulky and the selvedges were all stretched out due to the nature of the stitch. So, I ripped it all out and found another project. The Flutter Sleeve Cardigan from the Spring 2008 Interweave Knits.

Labels: ,