general adventures in craftiness

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Button Up

I finished my jacket on Saturday afternoon as I watched movies on cable TV. I really like how it turned out. I didn't make any changes or alterations. The fabric is fairly light, so it will make a nice layering piece. If I make this jacket again, I think I'd like to use a heavier weight canvas fabric.

Labels: , ,

Friday, June 08, 2007

Sleeveless Jacket

I managed to get the collar of the jacket sewn on last night. I'll try to get the sleeves on this weekend. Hopefully, my yarn for the blouson top will arrive next week and I can get started on that project.

PS Thanks to those of you who voted for my workspace! I didn't win, but it was cool that I got selected as an entrant.

Labels: , ,

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Summer Jacket

I cut out the pattern and fabric for this McCall's 5276 jacket over the weekend. I finished all the raw edges on my serger last night and ironed on interfacing to the facing, collar, and cuffs. The delightful fabric is called Graphic Leaves and is from superbuzzy. I love the blue and red dots. I'll start the actual sewing tonight.

For my next knitting project, I'm contemplating this blouson top pattern from the latest summer 2007 issue of Interweave Knits. I'm drawn to the pleating, wide neckline, raglan sleeves, and general blousiness (is that a word?) of the design. However, I hate the reverse stockinette stitch and would knit it up in regular stockinette. The pattern calls for Mission Falls 1824 Cotton, but I'll have to browse around for some substitute yarns.

Labels: , , ,

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Introducing Steffi

Labels: ,

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sleeve Kissing

I worked on finishing up my jacket most of the weekend. All I have left are the buttons and buttonholes and I decided to leave those for class on Tuesday night. To put the shell and lining together, I used the kissing the sleeve technique that was taught by my apparel construction teacher. Matching center back and all other applicable seams, the shell and lining are pinned, right sides together. Matching the underarm seams, the sleeves are pinned and sewn together at the cuff edges. One sleeve (typically the left one) has a seven to 10-inch opening to turn everything right side out after sewing is completed. That open seam is then machine stitched closed. It was a neat trick that worked well and I was glad I didn't have to do any handsewing. So far, I love how the jacket is turning out and I love how the lining contrasts with the grey wool.

Labels: , , ,

Friday, February 23, 2007

All I Need is Sleeves

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Steffi Progress

I cut out my pattern pieces and fabric over the long holiday weekend. I had to do some shortening of the pattern, but that was it. The satin was tough to cut out because it shifts and stretches easily. I started sewing the jacket together in apparel construction class last night and got as far as putting the fronts, backs, and pockets together. So far, so good. I also learned a fabulous tip in class calling "kissing the sleeve." More on that later, with pictures.

Labels: , , ,

Friday, February 16, 2007

New Projects

I ordered some KnitPicks Shine Worsted in Reef for the Rebecca sweater. It's pattern number 20 and has a relief stitch pattern. I wanted to try the new GGH Tara yarn, but I couldn't find it for sale anywhere. Hopefully, the yarn will get here sometime next week. I haven't worked on any knitting since finishing the Alexi cardigan earlier this week. I must say it's awfully strange to go so long without a knitting project!

My Textiles class had a field trip to the Pendleton Woolen Mills Factory this morning in Washougal, WA. We went on a tour of the mill and got to see wool being processed during the carding, spinning, and weaving stages. We also saw products like blankets and fabrics being finished. It was really interesting and informative. Lots of crazy huge machinery. There's also a store on site with a lot of discounted merchandise, including fabric. I bought about four and a half yards of this grey wool for my next apparel construction project, a jacket. It was only $3 per yard! I was thinking I'd use the remaining fabric to make some matching shorts, so I'd have a suit of sorts. As my lining fabric, I picked up this Michael Miller Disco Dot satin from Bolt. The Steffi jacket pattern is from BurdaStyle. I'll spend the holiday weekend cutting out my pattern and fabric pieces.

Labels: , , , , ,

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Apples of My Eye

I finished my jacket this morning. I wanted to wear it about town, but it was pouring rain and I didn't want to have to wear another coat on top of it, so it stayed in the closet. This was my first Built by Wendy pattern and it was pretty easy to follow. I only made one alteration and it was to keep the sleeves a little bit longer. They are almost the same length as the body of the jacket and I think it looks more like a cape. One warning: there is a lot of topstitching with this project, so buy an extra spool of thread. I ended up having to use another spool that I had left over from a previous project. The color was just a little bit darker, but you can't really tell. I used my new Janome machine, which was fabulous. I had to get used to a few little quirks, but overall, I'm glad I made the purchase. My favorite features are the needle threader and the automatic buttonhole maker.

Labels: , , , , ,